Thank you for your interest in participating in the South Dakota Week of Work, a valuable time for 10th graders to explore
career opportunities in their communities. Business and industry leaders from across the state will offer job shadows,
business tours, and guest speakers.
+ What will happen during the
Week of Work?
Schools will be able to participate in the South Dakota Week of Work in a variety of ways:
- Job shadows – Consider helping an animal lover schedule a shadow with the local veterinarian.
- Business tours – Perhaps your school’s Introduction to Business class could tour the local bank or credit union.
- Host guest speakers – A local farmer or rancher might welcome the opportunity to speak to animal science or horticulture classes.
- Celebrate success – Does your school already have robust work-based learning programs in place? Use this special week to celebrate! Plan a pep rally to recognize Build Dakota scholars or students who’ve completed internships. Host a “signing day” for seniors to announce their chosen career path and how they chose it. Have students present to classmates about their work-based learning experiences.
+ How do we participate?
In fall 2019, initial registration efforts will focus on recruiting businesses to offer career exploration opportunities.
- Identify a South Dakota Week of Work contact in your school/district.
- Make plans to attend one of the fall training events the South Dakota Department of Education will host with more information about the South Dakota Week of Work.
- The department will ask schools to complete a survey in fall 2019 indicating whether they plan to participate in the week.
- Schools are encouraged to have their 10th graders complete the Career Matchmaker via SDMyLife in the fall.
- Schools will be able to register their students in the Week of Work matching system sometime after Jan. 1, 2020.